There have been various posts spreading incorrect information about about Ramadan. Normally I am excited by people posting about Islam in any manner; the religion is a fascinating one. However, I became ashamed.
The people who posted about Ramadan seem to have no idea what it is, the rules, or the reason it occurs.
The biggest problems with the posts:
- Myth: Tagging food as “NSFW”, as seeing food will break fast
- Fact: Seeing, smelling, or being around food in general will not break fast. Also, the fast is going without food and drink, not just forgoing food.
- Myth: “if they see food on their dash you’re just making it harder for them to restrain from eating”
- Fact: This is offensive because it says that Muslims do not have the self-control to look at food and then abstain form eating it.
- Myth: ” I’d just seen a couple pieces of untagged NSFW content on my dash, my fast would have been broken right now “
- Fact: Your fast is not broken by viewing images- fast is broken if you act upon desires.
Also, if you read the first post, the person admits they do not know much about Ramadan- but they continue writing instead of reading. Also an important part of Ramadan is avoiding distractions-TV, music, and internet. Which means some Muslims will not be on Tumblr anyway.
For those curious about Islam and Ramadan, please follow these links:
- aboutramadan.com (the best site)
- Pre-Ramadan Interviews with new Muslims (replacing 10 Facts About Ramadan- link was broken)
- A open Q & A session about Ramadan
- Ramadan Campaign Against Hunger Offers Donors The Chance To Double The Impact Of Their Sadaqah
Please, please read and listen! Come back and tell me what you learnt!